Lesson Eleven: David’s Reign Continues
2 Samuel 7 and 9
2 Samuel 7 – David’s desire to build the Temple.
2 Samuel 6 – David honors Mephibosheth.
- What is the state of David’s kingdom at this time? (2 Samuel 7:1)
- How would you judge David’s request?
- What did Nathan think of David’s ideas?
- What does the Lord say first in response to David’s desire to build a house for God? (6-7)
- Consider the remainder of the Lord’s answer: v8-17.
- Will a house be built? By whom? When?
- What does 1 Chronicles 28:3 suggest about why David was not allowed to build the temple? What do you think that means?
- What promise does God make to David in verse 16?
- What is the additional fulfillment of this promise made to David? See Acts 2:29-30.
- What parts of this promise could not apply to Solomon? What parts could not apply to Jesus?
- Read these verses and summarize David’s response. How would you say David has handled himself through this episode?’
- What is David’s concern in 9:1-3? What does 9:1 show about his character?
- Who was Mephibosheth and what had happened to him? See 2 Samuel 4:1-4.
- Why might Mephibosheth have been afraid when he was called to David’s house?
- Read about how David treats Mephibosheth in verses 7-13. What do we learn about David from this episode?
- How might this be a foreshadowing of the eventual Son of David, Jesus?
Join us Wednesday Night on Facebook Live or Zoom for a review of this lesson.