In this series we are looking at the book of Jonah – one chapter each week.
In particular we are looking at the lessons we can learn from Jonah about what it means to be growing as a godly man or woman. Jonah was spiritually immature, and his story will give us opportunity to examine our own hearts and lives in many critical areas!
Questions on Jonah 3 –
Why did Jonah not go to Ninevah to preach as commanded in chapter 1? (See chapter 4:1-2).
Is there anything about Jonah’s response the second time (Chapter 3 – God gives him the same command) that suggests he was reluctant to obey?
What message does he preach?
How does the city respond?
What does the repentance of Ninevah teach us about the potential of people to change their lives and the mercy of God?
What did Jesus say about why the city of Ninevah repented (Luke 11:29-30)?
Looking ahead to 4:1, how does the prophet feel about this successful missionary campaign?
GROWTH POINTS IN CHAPTER ONE
- A life that is growing spiritually shows consistency between words and works.
- A life that is growing spiritually sets an example for the non-believing world – not the other way around!
GROWTH POINTS IN CHAPTER TWO
- A life that is growing spiritually knows and applies the word of God.
- A life that is growing spiritually confesses sin, not pious words of religiosity.
GROWTH POINTS IN CHAPTER THREE
- A life that is growing spiritually responds to God in total and complete obedience.
- A life that is growing spiritually responds to God in humility and not in arrogance and pride.
- A life that is growing spiritually loves the unlovely and pursues them.
Leave any thoughts comments or questions you may have in the box below. Join us for a live review of this material on Wednesday night at 7 by using the facebook link on this page.