Nehemiah led a third return of exiles to Jerusalem in 444 bc.
CHAPTER 1 – NEHEMIAH HEARS ABOUT JERUSALEM
- Who was Nehemiah? (1:1, 1:11)
- What report did he hear about the condition of Jerusalem? (1:3)
- How does he react to what he hears? (1:4)
- What are the specifics of Nehemiah’s prayer? For what specifically does he ask God?
CHAPTER 2 – NEHEMIAH PETITIONS THE KING
- What did the King notice about Nehemiah (2:1-3)
- What does Nehemiah request of the King?
- Who are we introduced to in 2:10?
- What conditions does Nehemiah discover when he comes to Jerusalem and inspects the wall?
- What skills do you see in Nehemiah in 2:16-18?
CHAPTER 3 – BUILDING THE WALL
Chapter 3 is a fascinating account of how the people worked together to repair the wall. Note as you read the chapter the repetition of the phrases “after him” and “next to him”. What is the picture that it is describing of how the wall was repaired? Look for anything else you find interesting, for example what does it say about the workers in 3:5.
Look ahead to Nehemiah 4:6. What progress has been made on the wall to this point?